Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August - The Savior's Call to Serve

In this months First Presidency Message President Monson shares some of his insights into church service.  He opens by suggesting that the one thing that we all have in common is the call to serve.  He  poses some questions to help us examine ourselves:
"Are you ever guilty of murmuring when a calling comes to you?  Or do you accept with thanksgiving each opportunity to serve your brothers and sisters, knowing that our Heavenly Father will bless those whom He calls?"
Throughout the rest of his message he shares examples of one who served the wrong master; he uses President John Taylor's words to show the danger of not serving, and ultimately reminding us of the Savior's many acts of service: 
"He brought strength to the limbs of the cripple, sight to the eyes of the blind, hearing to the ears of the deaf, and life to the body of the dead."
As I look back at my opportunities to serve I see some difficult or frustrating experiences and some times where the joy and growth has been immediate and exhilarating.  The one thing that I am certain of is that, if I allow myself to, I will be a better person and find new joys in those that I serve.

I leave you with my testimony that service is an opportunity to reap joy and President Monson's words:
"God bless us to find joy in serving our Father in Heaven as we serve His children on earth."
...in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment